Terumo BCT's industry-leading therapeutic apheresis technology, the COBE Spectra Apheresis System, uses a single platform for customized patient procedures that match treatment objectives. These wide-ranging procedures are designed for operator ease of use and control over desired outcome.
The COBE Spectra system is:
- The established therapeutic apheresis system with a high rate of customer satisfaction.
- A versatile centrifugal technology platform that performs customizable procedures for a variety of patients.
With this widely used therapeutic apheresis platform, all patients - each one different from the next - benefit from tailored procedures.
- Performs tailored procedures for a wide variety of patients using continuous flow centrifugal technology.
- Allows customization of procedures to fit operator needs, providing flexibility in therapeutic apheresis and transfusion medicine.
- Offers a wide array of therapeutic apheresis procedures all on one platform.
- Choice of cell therapy procedures available to meet procedure requirements, including cellular depletions, white blood cell procedures and bone marrow processing.
- Automation for cell consistency, low extracorporeal volume and high purity with the Mononuclear Cell Collection protocol and the Spectra AutoPBSC program.
- Matches procedures with individual patients using adaptable controls
- Delivers dependable performance with an emphasis on patient and donor safety.
- Monitors pump rates, fluid balance, volumes and manages anticoagulation using system process control.
The COBE Spectra Apheresis System uses unique centrifugal technology to separate whole blood into its major components. The system draws whole blood from a donor or patient, adds anticoagulant, separates the blood components, collects or removes specific components and returns uncollected components back to the donor or patient. In therapeutic plasma exchange and red blood exchange procedures, appropriate replacement fluid is continuously returned.
The COBE Spectra system includes:
- 4 pumps
- 5 valves
- Optical sensors to monitor density in the plasma/collect line or red blood cell spillover
- Display panel providing instructions and system messages
- Centrifuge chamber with interlocking door and cover
- Return flow controller that enables single-needle therapeutic plasma exchange and platelet collection
- Disposable tubing sets unique to the chosen procedure
Procedures on the COBE Spectra system deliver:
- Dual-stage or single-stage technology
- Separation of components based on specific gravity of cells
- Configurable procedure parameters for procedure consistency
- Automated procedures with operator control
- Programmable fluid balance and automated procedure endpoint calculations
- Low total blood volume (TBV) applications
The COBE Spectra system sets and maintains the interface by defining the pump flow rates and centrifuge speed, based on donor or patient data for a specific procedure. The wide range of continuous inlet flow rate settings allows the system to manage vascular access and accommodate small patients. The automation is enhanced by the two-way communications display and an associated keyboard.
Protocols on the COBE® Spectra Apheresis System
- TPE: therapeutic plasma exchange
- RBCX: red blood cell exchange and depletions
- Stem cell, mononuclear cell (MNC) and granulocyte collections*
- Depletions: platelet and white blood cell depletions
- Lymphoplasma exchange
Terumo BCT's products materials are designed to provide additional overview information to help customers better understand the benefits of the COBE Spectra Apheresis System.